Created by: Hannah Hagler, Champagne Lifestyle
Every year for Valentine’s Day, my boyfriend and I make dinner at home. We always try a new recipe, and it becomes such a fun experience – cooking together in the kitchen, lighting some candles for ambiance and getting to eat in our pajamas.
We always go all-out with our dinners and do a four-course meal, but the star of the show is usually the entree. We both recently became vegan, so we have been having a grand ol’ time trying some delicious vegan dishes in the kitchen.
This pasta dish is so unexpectedly creamy and flavorful, and doesn’t have a stitch of dairy in it! It would make for the perfect dinner at home with your sweetheart, especially if one of you has special dietary needs! I used regular pasta but you could easily sub in a gluten-free pasta.
- Pasta of choice
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1½ Tbsp. cornstarch
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Himalayan salt and black pepper
- 1½ cups almond milk
- Fresh basil (for serving)
- Roast red bell peppers on a baking sheet in the oven at 500° F for 25 minutes.
- Once they're roasted, remove the stem, seeds and any burnt skin from the peppers.
- Boil pasta while peppers are roasting and drain once complete. Add a touch of olive oil to pasta.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown shallots and garlic. Season with large pinch of salt and pepper.
- In blender, mix browned shallots and garlic, almond milk, red peppers, nutritional yeast and cornstarch. Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend in blender until creamy. Transfer to skillet over medium heat until simmering, then reduce to low heat until sauce thickens.
- Add noodles to sauce and garnish with chopped basil.