Created by: Nellie Tracy, Butter With a Side of Bread
I have been making more of an effort to cook healthy dinners lately, and this is one of my favorites. It doesn’t take much time, but it has a beautiful presentation! Pair this dish with a simple salad and dinner is ready!
- 2 lbs. Campari tomatoes, divided
- 1 cup white onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 whole chicken (about 5 lbs.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place one pound of tomatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Transfer cooled tomatoes to a mixing bowl and crush with a fork. Strain crushed tomatoes, reserving the juice.
- Reduce oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, combine onions, salt, pepper and crushed tomatoes. Place mixture in the cavity of the chicken and then add the butter. Baste the chicken with the reserved tomato juice. Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for one hour, or until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165°F. During the last 10 minutes of baking, add the remaining tomatoes to the pan.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes before carving and serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.