With creamy potatoes and blistered Poblano chiles, this side dish will always receive a warm welcome at your table.
- 6 Poblano chiles
- ½ white onion, cut into 1/8-inch wedges
- 1 ½ lb potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp. canola or corn oil
- 1 cup of Mexican style cream (crema fresca) or crème fraiche
- ½ cup milk or chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. of salt
- Place the Poblano chiles on a non-stick comal on high heat and roast until the chile skin is completely and evenly blistered. Turn the chiles on a regular basis to facilitate even blistering. Do not char the chiles. Place chiles in plastic or paper bag for 10-15 minutes. Peel away the black skin as well as the seeds and veins and cut into 1/8 inch strips.
- Cook the potatoes in a sauce pan, adding enough water to cover the potatoes. Add 2 Tbsp. of salt.
- In a sauté pan, add the oil and onion. Cook for 3 minutes or until the onions become transparent. Add the potatoes and brown for 5 minutes. Add the chile Poblano strips, cream, milk and salt to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes and serve.