This variation on a traditional mint julep adds just the right amount of ginger-zing.
Hands-on Time: 5 min. | Total Time: 1 hour 30 min. | Serves: 1 | Difficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup fresh ginger, sliced
- ½ cup sugar
- 4-6 mint leaves
- ½ oz. ginger syrup
- Crushed ice
- 2 oz. Jim Beam® Bourbon
- Mint sprig
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat water, ginger and sugar over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Strain syrup through mesh strainer. Refrigerate until cold.
- For each ginger mint julep, in julep cup or 10- to 12-ounce glass, muddle mint leaves in ginger syrup.
- Add crushed ice and pour bourbon over ice. Stir at least 30 seconds to frost glass and mix ingredients. Garnish with additional mint. Serve immediately.
Variation: For a sparkling ginger mint julep, make as directed, except use 1½ ounces bourbon. Fill glass ¾ full of ice; stir. Top off with sparkling water.