This mac ‘n cheese recipe is a sure choice for satisfyingly delicious comfort food.
- ½ lb. grated Gruyere cheese
- ½ lb. grated cheddar or jack cheese
- 2 cups dry macaroni
- 4 tsp. onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tsp. butter
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Preheat oven to 400° F. In saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter and sauté onion.
- Whisk in flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in milk over LOW heat. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- In a medium bowl, combine cheese mixture with macaroni. Blend well and pour into 2½ quart greased casserole.
- Toss panko crumbs in 4 teaspoons butter until lightly browned. Sprinkle on top of the macaroni.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove, let cool and serve.