Created by: Emily Buys, Clever Housewife
Throw a football tailgate in style with these cute football silverware organizers!
After you’ve opened up your cans of baked beans, don’t throw them away just yet! We’re going to turn the cans into a cute football silverware organizer that you can use over and over again during football season. You’ll have your baked beans for eating, and the cans will be repurposed into just the right silverware and straw holders.
- 4 empty food cans, all the same size
- Hammer and nail
- 20” of 16-gauge wire
- Hot glue gun
- Printable labels
- Wash out the empty cans and remove the labels. Most labels peel right off, but it’s okay if they leave some residue.
- Cut out each of the printable labels. Each label should be 4”x9½”. Glue to the can so that the ends slightly overlap. Add a drop of glue to attach the label to itself at the end.
- Using the hammer and nail, poke a hole in top of each of the cans. The hole needs to be just big enough to fit the 16-gauge wire through.
- Glue the first 2 cans together with the punched holes facing each other. Repeat with the remaining 2 cans. Now glue the sets of 2 to each other along their sides.
- Next, prepare the handle. Measure 8” of wire, which will become one side of the handle. Wrap the next 4” of wire around a pencil to create a place to grip. There should be 8” of wire on either side of the spiral when you’re finished. Slide out the pencil when you’re done.
- Thread one side of the wire through the two punched holes. Bring the end up and twist it around the handle. Pinch it tight with pliers, so nobody gets cut. Repeat with the other side of the handle, threading through the remaining two punched holes.
- Fill cans with plastic forks, spoons, knives and straws (or napkins).
- Choose the best part of the label to face outward when you decide where to punch your holes.